Tunnel ventilation shaft, Blackburne Place
A Ventilation Shaft for the railway tunnel running between Edge Hill and Wapping Dock. The tunnel transferred goods between the national rail network and the rest of the world via Liverpool docks. Construction started as long ago as 1827, and it is now disused. There are several of these shafts along the line of the tunnel. They are the sites of the original pilot holes, but when the railway stopped using a system of rope-hauled wagons and introduced steam locomotives in 1896, chimneys were built to allow smoke from the trains to escape well above ground. At this point, the line is 92 feet below street level.